Sunday, August 28, 2011

Automobile Club of Great Britain 1898

On July 13 (1898) the Automobile Club of Great Britain held a meeting and garden party at Strawberry Hill Mansion, the residence of Mr. Herbert de Stern. A large and distinguished company assembled, including the Duke and Duchess of Somerset. The hon. treasurer, Mr. Frank H. Butler, and the hon. sec., Mr. (Henry) Hewetson, rode a Benz car, while Mr. Claude Johnson (sec.) rode a Daimler. About ten other cars were on the ground. The weather was exquisite.
The London Illustrated News, July 30, 1998
The London Illustrated News, July 30, 1898

Some early history of the Automobile Club of Great Britain:
• August 10th 1897. The club was founded as the Automobile Club of Great Britain (and later included Ireland).
• November 8th 1899. The official journal of the club, Automobile Notes and Notices, began publication.
• 1907. The Automobile Club of Great Britain and Ireland became the Royal Automobile Club.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recent Posts